Benefits of physical activity
1.Helps lose weight
2.Releases tension/stress and improves your mood
3.Improves your sleep
4. Prevent and manage high blood pressure (Hypertension)
5. Prevent and manage high blood sugar/glucose (diabetes mellitus)
6. Reduces risk of heart diseases
7. Prevents and manage high cholesterol
8. Reduces the risk of osteoarthritis and helps build muscle strength
Frequency and intensity of physical activity
- Exercise at a moderate intensity at least five days a week for 30 minutes or more.
- If it is not possible to exercise for consecutive 30 minutes, break it up into 10 to 15-minute sessions a few times a day.
What is Moderate intensity and Vigorous intensity physical activity?
Requires moderate amount of effort and noticeably accelerate the heart rate.
Requires a large amount of effort and causes rapid breathing and substantial increase in the heart rate.
Bicycling (Speed – 10-12mph)
Bicycling (Speed – 14-16mph)
(washing windows, vacuuming, mopping)
Active involvement in sports with children (Badminton)
Competitive sports (football, volleyball, basketball)
Carrying/lifting moderate load (<20Kg)
Carrying moving heavy load (>20Kg)
Tips to get more exercise
Brisk walking around your neighborhood or at home anytime of the day
Walk your children to school, Madrassa, Church, Gurdawara and Temple
Walk in the shopping mall to do window shopping
Always take stairs, instead of elevators
Accompany your children to park
Walk to supermarket to buy daily groceries/vegetable/fruits
Walk while talking on the phone while at home or workplace
Get off the bus/mini-van/MTR one stop in advance and walk towards your house
Make sure to warm up for a few minutes before stretching
- Stretching improves muscle strength and joints mobility
- You can easily stretch at home while doing household tasks such as cooking and cleaning
- You can stretch before starting work in the office and outdoor work or even at home.
There are many types of dance, choose your own style
- If you do not know how to dance, learn to dance from YouTube videos
- Join dance classes
- Dancing and listening to music while doing household tasks, such as cooking, cleaning windows or floor.
Bicycling (slower than 10 miles per hour)
- Arrange cycling days with your family and friends
- Cycling facilities are available around some beautiful locations in Hong Kong
- If you own a bicycle, ride it to work or school
- Organize hiking with your family and friends
- Children always like to go out. Why not taking them for a hike.
- There are many hiking trails at beautiful locations in Hong Kong(http://hiking.gov.hk/eng/index.htm)
- Play sports with your family and friends, for example, badminton, table tennis, football, cricket
- Join outdoor activities organized by community centers, for example, visit country parks, go hiking and do sports activities.
- Go for bowling with your family and friends
Tips to get more exercise at home
- Floor mopping or carpet cleaning
- Jogging and marching in place
- Jumping ropes